Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ala Eh! Bulalo (Muñoz) and the Tiny Cockroach

Ala Eh! Bulalo in Munoz, Quezon City is a fastfood restaurant that serves Filipino food. It is located at the foot of the overpass near Waltermart North EDSA.

Taste

We ordered their good-for-two combo which consisted of Pork Sisig, Bulalo, Pancit Lucban, rice, drinks, and dessert. Being a fastfood joint, the food wasn't as tasty as the ones in more expensive restos but was good enough to satisfy our craving for sisig and bulalo that day. The food was hot and quick to arrive.

Ala Eh! Bulalo sisig
pork sisig
Ala Eh! Bulalo bulalo soup
bulalo
Ala Eh! Bulalo Pancit Lucban Habhab
pancit Lucban
Ala Eh! Bulalo leche flan
leche flan

In our second visit, they ran out of pork sisig so I ordered Beef Steak Sisig instead. Bf ordered Bulalo GLP. I was contented with my sisig but bf did not like his bulalo GLP. According to him, the tripe (tuwalya) included in the soup was very tough and probably not so fresh.


Affordability

The combo in our first visit cost us P399. Portions of the sisig and the bulalo were big enough to fill us (two starving gluttons) up that I had to take the pancit home. In our second visit, our meal cost us P293.

Ala Eh! Bulalo offers other dishes which are even more affordable. More bang for the buck than the usual fastfood fare.

Interiors

The restaurant has a simple and functional design, with splashes of green all around.

Ala Eh! Bulalo interiors
Ala Eh! Bulalo interiors


Cleanliness

This is the part where things get a little sensitive. We had no issue the first time we dined here, but in our second visit, we encountered this:

Ala Eh! Bulalo cockroach
Ala Eh! Bulalo cockroach

I've heard from people in the food industry that you can't totally get rid of cockroaches. According to them, roaches are present even in expensive restaurants (I believe that since we have also encountered small roaches in Gloria Maris and Lamesa Grill). So personally, I found the presence of this baby roach in Ala Eh! Bulalo forgivable, but the resto's owner/manager has to do something about it. Many people are not as tolerant.

Oh well, at least Roachie came by when we were already through eating and it was just a small cockroach. If it were the other kind -- the big one that flies --  I would have been out of there in a flash.

Service

The service was good. The servers in both our visits were courteous and friendly. Our food also arrived quickly.



Ala Eh! Bulalo (Muñoz)
Muñoz Building Market, EDSA
Quezon City, Metro Manila
Store hours: 9am-11pm
Web site


27 comments:

  1. May ipis na namamasyal. Anu ba yan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I traveled to Manila and had breakfast in a joint just beside Victory Cubao. They served siopao and all, maybe you can help me identify the place. Anyway, roaches were walking like everywhere. The crew didn't mind but there were around 5 during that time. So filthy! My appetite was ruined. Good thing the creepy crawlies were visible instead of hiding in the kitchen. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five roaches that were in plain sight of the crew? That's too much. I would have been suspicious with the food. That's not an accident anymore, just plain disregard for cleanliness.

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I agree, you can't remove them entirely. You can only manage them.

    Kahit sa bahay, sobrang linis ko na, no leftovers etc. Di sila totally nawawala. Although nabawasan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roaches are signs that the management over-looked some cleanliness issues, maybe forgivable in one case but should not be a habit. My kids don't like having crawling insects anywhere near them, what more on their eating table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. A one-time mishap is understandable but the problem should be addressed by the resto at once.

      Delete
  5. Roaches I think are signs of cleanliness issue. Though sometimes at home it can't really be prevented even how tough we are on them. But on resto, I think this is improper, we may not know where they have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i thought the cockroach was on the food, buti naman sa wall lang...

    management should address the issue, otherwise customers may veer away from them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thrown a fit if the roach was in the food. :D

      Delete
  7. Waaaaah! I'm one of those who can't take them but yes, it's true cockroaches are everywhere. Hays...

    ReplyDelete
  8. those in the food business must be really extra particular with cleanliness and pest control.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those little roached are quite annoying. Unlike their bigger counterparts, they don't mind being exposed to people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the big ones because they fly and they somehow detect people who are afraid of them (and fly right in their direction lol)

      Delete
  10. Ala eh! I love green and this will surely attract me, hehe.
    This is my personal thoughts. Roaches appear everywhere, I agree on that... I believe, for sosyal restaurants, "some" have even more roaches than restos like this, sometimes they just look tidy and nice because of the ambiance and design of restos, well that's just mine, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grabe! If that were me, I wouldn't be as tolerant. It would still be an icky sight! I'm sure if there were critters like that in the area, there would be a possibility of food contamination or something. The worst that i've encountered such would be at kowloon house. There were like 3 to 4 cockroaches wandering on the glass of their food display. Eww!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have an experience seeing a roach in a restaurant so I wouldn't be able to tolerate this. Anyway, I think you can find some other good restaurants that serves bulalo as well of the same price. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear from you that you won't tolerate roaches, since you're a chef and do caterings. :)

      Delete
  13. Yummy sisig! i miss that..for nowe I have to satisfy myself with frozen bangus sisig.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my God, sisig, I will do anything for sisig, especially the sizzling one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, you really can't get rid of the roaches but if they keep the place clean, hindi magiging visible yang mga yan. Pwede ding mabaho na yung basahang pinapangpunas nila sa mga tables or something.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have yet to try a bulalo other than what my mom cooks for me. With those roaches, they should keep the place as clean as possible, no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do not accept that reason na its always present. Yes they are around and it is their job to ensure that they are not seen by people. Cleanliness really matters a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. bulalo and sisig are really mouthwatering. but as I read through, IPIS? lame excuse of them.. cleanliness is a priority though,

    ReplyDelete
  19. All those food look really yummy. I'm quite tolerant to the lack of flavor of fast food restos too.. :) Same goes to cleanliness since I've experienced seeing small roaches even in expensive restos. And I definitely agree, the management should make sure they do better in keeping the resto clean.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...