Thursday, March 22, 2012

Our First Time to Try Impressionistic Acrylic Painting @ Design Perception

There are people who say that they have two left feet. Well I guess I have two left hands. Although I liked drawing when I was a kid, as I grew older, art and I went our separate ways. I continued to admire art from afar and was perpetually jealous of artists.

I heard about Design Perception Visual Art & Creative Studio in Quezon City. They were offering basic creative art lessons. Bf and I decided to drop by for a 2-hour session. I was a little nervous, since I could only draw stick figures - my definition of 'basic' might be different from theirs.

The studio was a lot smaller than I expected. At the front was the reception area. The walls were white, made interesting and alive with colorful paintings.

Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio
reception area
Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio
counter

Behind the wall with the octopus design was the study area. Artworks, art books, and art supplies were neatly arranged, maximizing the space.

Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio
Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio


Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio
Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio


There was also a sink for cleaning paint brushes and other things.
Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio


We brought a little bad luck with us that day. Minutes after we began our painting, power went out. The Meralco post outside the building exploded and it would be hours before power could be restored. Thankfully, there was no fire though of course the commercial establishments in the building were negatively affected.

Taka and Erwin, the two artists in the studio during our visit, were cool despite the setback. We thought our session would be aborted but it turned out that the studio was allowed to use the open space nearby. So we relocated there and continued.

I learned that Taka graduated from UP Diliman and that the studio was a collaborative effort among her and more than a dozen artist friends. I asked Taka about their lessons. They seemed to be offering every kind of art lesson for both kids and adults: painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, animation, and even interior design. They probably took turns manning the studio, so better set an appointment online or through phone before dropping by, to ensure that the artist that would be there would be suited to your particular art interest.

Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio


In that session, we were introduced to impressionistic painting, Van Gogh style. We could either paint a face or a landscape; we chose landscape.

I painted a simple version of Van Gogh's famous The Starry Night.

impressionistic Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio


Bf, ever the Filipiniana buff, painted something with a local flavor.

impressionistic acrylic painting at Design Perception Visual Art and Creative Studio

After the session, we were asked to come back to get our "masterpieces" since they would have to be dried and processed first. Design Perception also offered framing services for P1000.

As much as we wanted to continue with further lessons, the rates were cost-prohibitive for us. One session cost P1250. But it was good to be made familiar and comfortable with acrylic painting while being supervised by a professional. The rates and packages differ, so if you're interested, just ask them directly.




Design Perception Visual Art & Creative Studio
91 Nueve Uno Building
Xavierville Avenue, Loyola Heights
Quezon City,  Metro Manila
Facebook page


30 comments:

  1. Wow! The painting doesn't show that the artist only knew how to draw stick figures.. even before I read your caption, I already knew that it was drawn using Van Gogh as an inspiration. =) you are an artist sis! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your both left hands which prevented you to be an artist, but due to curiosity and persistence, you become an instant artist. Jokingly, you're lucky that you've both left hands. But I know one of the artists which don't have any hands at all, but has created the best drawing or arts in the world. Do you know who he is? Dhaval Khatri a painter who hails from a small town in Gujarat is an artist with a difference! He lost his both hands in accident, but pursued his painting passion and he succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Dhaval Khatri but yes you're right, I've seen Filipino artists like him. They hold the paintbrush using their mouth since they have no hands. If there's a will, there is always a way :)

      Delete
  3. honestly?...I think you have it! with a little more practice, you can be an artist. I like your version of van gogh's starry night...really and I am not easy to please :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! it was fun and exhilarating to dabble in something new and unfamiliar to us.

      Delete
  4. These are great works! You guys are really good, I love your van Gogh inspired painting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to draw but drawing is not for me. I don't have a talent really.My eldest is an artist and i am his favorite model.You did good on your painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh so you're the inspiration! you're like Mona Lisa :D

      Delete
  6. wow i miss creating my own.. gotta visit this studio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a great outlet, as you probably already know ;)

      Delete
  7. wow that's a good job dear!! i use to draw/paint as well when i was a kid i seem to have lost it somehow hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah that seems to be typical. why is that, no? as kids a lot of people are into arts then they stop as they grow older.

      Delete
  8. So you claim that you have two left hands when all the while you did an amazing job on your painting! :-) Keep doing art, girl!

    Take care and God bless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow wow. i'm so envious.
    it's truly a place for creatives. the reception area is so inviting :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am more fascinated with Hyper Realistic arts than Impressionistic ones. ^_^ I like to see objects in paintings as how they are seen in reality.

    Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those. Very impressive. How in the world are they able to do that? O_O

      Delete
  11. When I was a kid, I constantly get BEST rating for my artworks but I don't know what happened why I seem to have lost the skill. Perhaps I'm not really a born artist.

    These paintings are amazing. The artist deserves the recognition he deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess just like any other skill, one needs constant practice :)

      Delete
  12. Im a fan of Van Gogh's paintings and I must say you actually did a pretty good job.
    tnry ko gayahin yan, di kinaya ng powers ko! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I began to appreciate Van Gogh much more after we tried painting. His brushstrokes are so precise and the painting has a lot of character. And to think that he painted from memory! Since that time he could only paint during the day.

      Delete
  13. quite expensive for a session. there's an gallery in trinoma that offers painting lessons too. 8-12 sessions for 5k, i think. it's near toast box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot RC! We'll check that out one of these days.

      Delete
  14. It seems like you have embraced the little kid in you who loves to draw again. Welcome back - you obviously have a gift!!! Time to shine! You're good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah a bit of second childhood every now and then :D Thanks!

      Delete
  15. is it really you're first time? para kasing original na van gogh. :) ... nice painting. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...