Monday, May 7, 2012

Movie Review: The Avengers (2012)

The Avengers Assemble 2012 movie poster Synopsis:
Loki teams up with an alien race in order to rule Earth. Traveling through a portal created by the Tesseract, a powerful energy source, he is able to control the minds of Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) and physicist consultant Dr. Erik Selvig (Stellan SkarsgÄrd). S.H.I.E.L.D, headed by Nick Fury, forms a team of superheroes called The Avengers to stop Loki.


Main Cast:
Robert Downey Jr. - Tony Stark / Iron Man
Chris Evans - Steve Rogers / Captain America
Mark Ruffalo - Bruce Banner / The Hulk
Chris Hemsworth - Thor
Scarlett Johansson - Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Jeremy Renner - Clint Barton / Hawkeye
Tom Hiddleston - Loki
Samuel L. Jackson - Nick Fury


Trailer:



Review:
Finally got to see The Avengers last Saturday night. I'm a big Loki fan and the primary reason for me to see The Avengers was to see Loki again. The movie began showing here in the Philippines last April 25 but since I dislike big crowds and was expecting everyone and his mom to be lining up for this film, I went to the cinema more than a week after the movie's opening. I checked the film's schedule at the IMAX Theatre at SM City North EDSA before leaving the house and was aiming to see the film on either the 2:15pm or 5:10pm screening. Upon arrival, though, we learned that both screenings were already sold out, so we just waited for the 8:05pm screening.

The movie was fun and awesome! It was long (142 minutes) but you wouldn't notice the time because there were no dull scenes. There were lots of funny scenes and dialogues and the humiliating but highly hilarious confrontation between Loki and Hulk had the audience in stitches. There was a death scene but it was not prolonged and overly sentimental like in most films. And thank goodness Natalie Portman's character Jane wasn't here! I liked Pepper Potts and Tony Stark's love angle because it was believable since they had known each other for a long time; I dislike the idea of "pure and undying" love between characters that just met each other a few days ago.


The cast had a solid performance and rocked their respective characters. Robert Downey Jr's portrayal was (again) awe-inspiring. The charisma, the wit, the cockiness - effortless. He IS Tony Stark! Tom Hiddleston shone in his role as Loki, deadly and insane but strangely appealing. Before, I was skeptical about Scarlett Johansson playing a badass assassin. She pulled it off, though, and looked great in her fiery hair color and skintight outfit. The guys (including Loki) were all great-looking and fit as well, but sorry ladies - no topless Tony Stark, Thor or Captain America scenes here.

The script was well-written, which was definitely a triumph considering the film was about superheroes with different and strong personalities (and big egos sometimes). They didn't just instantly bond; they were able to work through their differences, learn to respect one another, and work as a team. Black Widow and Hawkeye did not have their own films before The Avengers so I was expecting their roles to be smaller than the others' but it was a nice surprise that they were given many good scenes and were shown to be able to hold their own as they fought alongside Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk. It would have been better if they had given Hawkeye more screen time as a good guy though. I hope the good reception of The Avengers would lead to Hawkeye and Black Widow being together in their own film.

Of the good guys, the one that stood out the most for me was Captain America. In Captain America: The First Avenger, it was shown just how noble and selfless he was. The Avengers showed just how fit he was to be the team leader.


Rating:
8/10

22 comments:

  1. The Avengers really does all the main things a huge number of people care about, including the expectations of comic book readers / marvel fans, and then the general public who likes to watch stuff blow up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they did a great job at appealing to a wide audience. In trying to reach the general female side, they did great without sacrificing what die-hard fans wanted. My fave part had to be with Hulk and Thor after their battle :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you Matt and Terri. I think the film was able to please the fanboys as well as the general fans. There had been a lot of comic book movies before but most of them met complaints from diehard fans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Robert Downey Jr is Tony Stark. Tony Stark is Robert Downey Jr. It was destiny!! hehe.

    Love the epic scene between Loki and Hulk. Hahaha! EPIC and FUNNY! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't watched it on big screen. I might just wait for the DVD or download it on torrent. I'm now impressed with the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the contrary, I wasn't that impressed with Scarlett's portrayal on the film. I don't know what is that lacks in her but I feel that there could have been more to the role. But all in all, the film was fantastic. I also wrote a review on this and I rated it 9/10.

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved the movie ~
    hulk was awesome

    i was expecting more from black widow & hawkeye though

    ReplyDelete
  8. The movie is exciting enough, I did not realize that the running time is more than 140 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. one of the strength of this movie is that all of the characters was able to have equal treatment

    ReplyDelete
  10. grabeh laki ng kinita ng movie na ito mukang maganda nga

    ReplyDelete
  11. who died???? awwwww, I still haven't seen it, was planning to this weekend. oh well. but I love Chris Evans, so I'm still going to watch even if one of them died...huhuhuhu

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will watch the movie soon!!! showing na dito at last!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to see the movie. I might give it a go, then :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to an original DVD copy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the original cut was more than 3 hours long, so you'll be seeing a lot of new scenes in the DVD copy :D

      Delete
  15. SPOILER ALERT: I love two scenes in the movie. I like that scene when THor tried to defend his brother and later on dismissed that he is just adopted out of shame. And I also like that scene when Hulk smashed Loki like an old doll.. LOL .. epic.. sorry sa spoil

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally a classic film. The Ten Commandments or Ben-Hur of our generation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. di parin ako manonood nito hanggang di pa ako tapos sa pagddl ng the Vow.. hahha

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have seen this too with hubby and 2 kids. We enjoyed the movie so much. sulit ang binayad.i asked hubby to watch it because of Captain America and thor ,both are my boyfriends(lol)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...