Thursday, April 19, 2012

Digital Perm at Fredy Salon in Timog

I had always had straight hair - naturally stick-straight when I was a kid, straight but slightly puffy as an adult - and for the past few years I had wondered what I would look like with curls. I never got around to getting a perm though, until now.

I bought a digital perm voucher at Fredy Salon from Cleverbuy.

In case you're unfamiliar with the term, digital perming (aka digiperm or hot perming) is a hair curling technique from Japan. It involves the use of hot rods connected to a machine that regulates the temperature. Digi perm uses heat and a solution different from the one used in traditional perm (aka cold perming). Because the rollers are hot and can't therefore be placed too close to the scalp, only the lower part of the hair is permed. Digiperm can be used to achieve big curls and beach waves.

Fredy Salon's Timog branch is located near GMA 7 (and Adonis, hehe).

I went on a Tuesday afternoon (or as The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper would say: prevening). I was the only customer during my visit so there was no waiting. Thank goodness! The whole procedure took about four hours. I arrived at a little past 5pm and left at around 9:30pm.

digiperm at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City


My hair was first shampooed. A cream was then applied and my hair was washed again. Small sections of my  hair were then rolled onto ceramic curlers. Those curlers were a lot heavier than I thought. Those rods were then attached to the (alien-looking) digiperm machine and heated for around an hour.

digiperm at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City digital perm perming machine
digiperm at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City digital perm perming machine


Afterwards, treatment was applied and my hair was washed again then blow-dried a little.

digiperm at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City
right after the digiperm - hair still damp
digital perm at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City
2 days after - I have an aversion towards posting my ugly mug online but I want you guys
to see the hair so forgive me if this picture reminds you of The Ring.
digital perm at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City
2 days after

My hairdresser was named Elmer and he was assisted by a female coworker. She did the shampooing as well as helped Elmer when it was time to use the digiperm machine. Since Fredy Salon was very near GMA, I asked Elmer if he had styled some celebrities. He said that sometimes celebrities would drop by and that sometimes he would go inside GMA and beautify the clients there.

Elmer the hairstylist at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City
Elmer, the hairstylist
staff at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City
closing time at Fredy Salon in Timog, Quezon City
this pic was taken immediately right after my perm, hence the slight mess

Overall, I was satisfied with the service. Elmer and her lady coworker were both nice and courteous. Elmer answered all my hair-related questions convincingly. Before doing the perm, he checked my hair and asked me several times when I last had my hair rebonded. He wasn't nosy or maharot nor was he cold. I didn't hear them complain or even remark about the time, even though I was there until past closing time. He didn't try to sell me stuff. He remarked twice or thrice that getting a hair dye would make the permed hair look better but he didn't pressure me into getting one. He also informed me of their discount system (you get a big discount if you're a return customer) and their referral system (you also get a big discount on your next visit if you bring new clients to Fredy Salon).

However, there were two things that stuck out:

  • I didn't feel rushed except during the end. After my hair was treated and washed, I was surprised that we were already through. I asked Elmer if he wouldn't be blowdrying my hair; he dried my hair a bit but my hair was still damp when I left. I didn't anymore ask if it was really supposed to be like that and I didn't insist on my hair being completely blow-dried since it was already 9:30pm.
  • The voucher's terms didn't specify that treatment was not included. I had to pay an extra P700 for the treatment. Good thing I brought extra money. It was very confusing. The Cleverbuy promo cost P1500 and said that the regular price was P4500. As it turned out, the regular price already included the treatment but the promo price did not. Their Cleverbuy promo should have said that the deal was worth P3800 then.

ENX6T37MDTJ6



Fredy Salon
12 Timog Avenue
Quezon City, Metro Manila
Facebook page

17 comments:

  1. ei, I want my hair curly too... :P

    2nd and 3rd pix above looks like from the Matrix movie, with tangle of wires... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. would have love to see your new aura with your new permed hair! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. where is your g+ kanina pa ako dito wala po akong makita 5x na ako nag refresh:-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to have a curl too! I hope there will be a promo with no hidden charges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, ganun kamahal... hahaha... buti nlng di ako nagpapakulot hahaha. glad na you had extra cash, better ask nlng talaga sa susunod... happy birthday nga pala... Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be glad you're a guy. You don't have to bother with all these girly stuff we do :P

      Delete
  6. I've always been curious about digiperms, now I finally know what the machine looks like, and what goes on.

    I'm also considering getting a digiperm, but I'd want bigger curls. You can choose the size of the curls, right?

    Oh, those groupon vouchers are really deceptive! I guess it helps to do some research first on the actual price before buying a voucher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup you can choose the size of the curls. If you have a particular hairstyle in mind, better show the hairstylist a picture.

      Delete
  7. wow nice! ganyan pla yun digiperm machine. Ako kasi sa bahay lang nagpapakulot. Using the traditional thingy. Yung pagoda then my tito ko na hairdresser and sya gumgawa. Less than 500 ok na ko. heheh.. *wink

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, how much if i just walk in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. you bought the voucher from cleverbuy? i thought it has issues and unsolved cases to their clients before... :(

    regarding freddy salon.. yeah two thumbs up for their services. i hope they have promo again in rebonding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I bought the voucher from Cleverbuy, before Cleverbuy turned hoodlum.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...